Learn how to get rid of the e-mails in your inbox!
These steps are based on Outlook but they can also be done with other e-mail programs.
- Create five folders: Do, Defer, Delegate, Document and Delete*
- Group related e-mails by sorting them by subject
- Review each e-mail and decide
- If an action is needed today, move it to the Do folder
- If no immediate action is needed, move it to Defer (right click on the message, point to Follow Up and then click on Add Reminder)
- If someone else should do it, Delegate it and add a reminder
- If the e-mail contains useful information, move it to the Document folder
- If you cannot decide, move it to Delete
Prioritize the Do folder daily. Revisit the rest weekly.
*Dr. Estrella’s “Deadly D Folders”