Prevent undocumented and/or unapproved changes by strictly adhering to fundamental scope management and change request (CR) processes.
Unless there is an approved CR, do not allow changes on signed-off documents.
From Requirements to Solution
- Requirements Document (RD): gather requirements; conduct walkthroughs; prepare the final version; get signoffs
- Traceability: trace the proposed design (PD) against the RD (items not mentioned in the RD should not be in the PD); get signoffs
- Acceptance Checklist (AC): create based on RD and PD; get signoffs before starting solution development
- Actual Solution (product, service or result): accept only if it meets RD, PD and AC parameters
Change Request Process
- Establish a change control board (CCB)
- Submit all CRs to the CCB for “approval to estimate”
- CCB to approve, defer or reject the CR based on the estimated impacts