Don’t bother with project management certifications if your primary reasons include getting instant fame and fortune. Adding the PiMP designation after your name will not make you an overnight sensation even if your name is John! And no, the new iPMP designation is not the latest iPhone.
Only consider getting a project management certification if you are willing to:
– change your old habits
– standardize your terminologies
– learn additional tools and techniques
– commit to professional development
And, your organization will agree to:
– change ineffective and inefficient processes
– aspire for consistent and repeatable results
– reward your efforts based on project results
– expect that success will not happen overnight
It takes two to tango. Likewise, certifications are only valuable through mutual commitments. If you can’t tango, you might as well not give it a go!